You May Be Eligible For The Government Internet Discount
Program Update: June 6, 2021
As of this date, over 2.3 million households have been approved for the Emergency Broadband Benefit. I want to stress, this program is not just for XFINITY customers, but mostly all major ISPs are partaking in the program. If you are interested in the current status of the EBB program, you can see more here.
Consumers were able to start signing up for the XFINITY Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) on May 12, 2021. As part of the last Economic Stimulus Bill passed, families, or other struggling Americans can qualify for up to $50 off their monthly Internet Bill. You may qualify if you participate in the programs above or have income loss through the Covid-19 Pandemic. There are other qualifications as well. You can read more about the Emergency Broadband Benefit Plan qualifications on the FCC website. Be sure to share this information with your family and friends. I want to see every struggling American get as much help as needed through this crisis.
- Has an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, or Lifeline;
- Approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision in the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
- Experienced a substantial loss of income due to job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020 and the household had a total income in 2020 at or below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers; or
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
Locate Internet & TV services in your area. Seniors, students, and low-income families can also find cheap internet deals here as well. You or your family may qualify for Comcast’s Internet Essentials, AT&T Access, or other similar services from other Internet providers. These services usually cost only $10 / month and typically include the cost of cable modems. If your household receives SNAP, Medicaid, SSI, Housing Assistance, or if your household participates in the National School Lunch Program.
Comcast XFINITY Internet Essentials
View exclusive online deals for XFINITY Internet & TV services. While XFINITY deals are constantly changing, at the time of writing, you can get 50 Mbps Internet for only $39.99 / month for a year. You or your family may also qualify for Internet Essentials from Comcast for $9.99 / month.
- What Is The Federal Government's Emergency Broadband Benefit Program?
The Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) is a temporary subsidy program part of the last stimulus package. The EBB is to help low-income households stay connected during the COVID-19 crisis. Qualified households can receive a temporary monthly credit of up to $50 (up to $75 for customers in Tribal lands) on their XFINITY or other ISP Internet Bills.
- How Do I Get A New Tablet, Laptop, or PC With The Emergency Broadband Benefit?
The program also gives a one-time discount on the purchase of a PC, laptop, or tablet. You must pay a portion of the new device of $10-$50 and you can get up to $100 discount on your new purchase. However, it looks like most ISP providers, like Comcast, has opted to not take part in this portion of the program. The device must be purchased from your ISP. The link below shows you which ISPs are offering the connected device discounts.
- What Do I Need To Apply For The EBB?
Once you know you are eligible, you can begin the application process. You can download the application below and mail it in, or Apply Online which is obviously faster. If you already have Internet service active, it is important to use the same information as you have supplied to your provider. This includes email, full name, address, telephone, and SS#. If there is a mismatch on your application, your application will be denied. You will then have to reapply. After you get approval from Lifeline, you will need to let Comcast know your status. View link in resources.
XFINITY Emergency Broadband Benefit – Video Intro
XFINITY Emergency Broadband Benefit Resources:
- Apply online for faster approval
- List of ISPs offering connected devices option
- Let Comcast know you’ve been approved