A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is an essential tool for protecting your online privacy and security. When selecting a VPN router, there are many factors to consider, such as speed, range, portability, and price. In this article, we will compare the best VPN routers on the market and help you decide which one is right for you.
- Types of VPN Routers
- The Benefits of Using a VPN Router
- List of 10 Best VPN Routers Reviews
- 1. TP-Link ER605 Multi-WAN Wired VPN Router
- 2. GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext (Slate) Gigabit Travel AC VPN Router
- 3. TRENDnet Gigabit Multi-WAN VPN Business Router
- 4. Cisco RV260W VPN Router
- 5. TP-Link ER7206 Multi-WAN Professional Wired Gigabit VPN Router
- 6. GL.iNet GL-AR750 (Creta) Travel AC VPN Router
- 7. Cudy AC2100 WiFi Mesh VPN Router
- 8. D-Link DSR-250 VPN Router
- 9. Cisco RV345 VPN Router
- 10. Linksys LRT224 Business Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router
- How to Choose the Best VPN Router for You?
- How to Setup VPN on Your Router
- Frequently Asked Questions
Types of VPN Routers
There are three main types of VPN routers: dedicated, software-defined, and virtual.
- Dedicated VPN routers are designed specifically for use with a VPN service and come with all the necessary features, including built-in security and support for different protocols. They can be expensive, but this is the most secure option.
- Software-defined VPN routers allow users to create a virtual router on their computer using software like OpenVPN. This can be a cheaper option than buying a dedicated VPN router, but it’s less secure and may not work with all providers.
- Virtual VPN routers are created using virtualization software, like VMware or VirtualBox. These routers can be used with any provider that supports the relevant protocol, but they’re slower and less secure than dedicated or software-defined routers. However, because you can run multiple servers at once, virtual VPN routers are a cheap way to provide network access for groups of users.
If you need a router that supports a specific protocol, make sure the VPN provider you choose offers a model that plays nice with your existing hardware. You may be able to configure your existing router to work with their service instead of buying a new one!
The Benefits of Using a VPN Router
A virtual private network (VPN) router is a great way to keep all of your devices secure and protected while online. By using a VPN router, you can encrypt all of your traffic and keep your data safe from prying eyes. Additionally, a VPN router can help you bypass censorship and access blocked content from around the world. Here are some of the key benefits of using a VPN router:
1. Security and privacy
One of the biggest benefits of using a VPN router is that all of your devices will be automatically protected against online threats. A VPN router will encrypt all of your traffic, making it impossible for hackers or government agencies to spy on your activities. Additionally, a VPN router will help you protect your privacy by masking your IP address.
2. Access to blocked content
A VPN router can also be used to bypass censorship and access blocked content from around the world. By connecting to a VPN server, you can access websites and services that are unavailable in your location. This is a great way to get around government censorship and access censored content from anywhere in the world.
3. Increased flexibility
Another great benefit of using a VPN router is that it gives you increased flexibility when it comes to your online options. A VPN router will allow you to unblock content and access services from all over the world, making it the perfect choice for travelers and ex-pats. Additionally, a VPN router can be used to create a private network for you and your friends.
4. Getting around geo-blocks
Many online services such as Netflix block content based on your location. However, you can use a VPN router to get around these restrictions and access blocked content anyway. By connecting to a VPN server in the appropriate location, you can unblock sites like Netflix and Hulu so that you can enjoy your favorite shows from anywhere in the world. This is also a great way to unblock sports coverage so that you never miss out on another game again!
5. Sharing media privately with friends or family members
A VPN router is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to keep their data secure when sharing files online. By creating a private network through your router, you can easily share photos, videos, and other files with your friends and family members. This is a great way to keep your data safe and secure while enjoying all the benefits of online collaboration.
As you can see, there are many great reasons to use a VPN router. If you are looking for increased security, privacy, and flexibility when it comes to your online options, then a VPN router is the perfect choice for you. Be sure to check out our selection of top-rated VPN routers today!
List of 10 Best VPN Routers Reviews
1. TP-Link ER605 Multi-WAN Wired VPN Router
- The TP-Link ER605 Wired VPN Router is perfect for businesses that want to optimize their bandwidth usage. With five Gigabit ports, this best VPN router can handle up to four WAN connections, meaning you can get the most out of your internet connection. The integrated Omada SDN platform also allows for centralized cloud management of your network from different sites.
- With support for up to 20 LAN-to-LAN IPsec, 16 OpenVPN, 16 L2TP, and 16 PPTP VPN connections, the ER605 can accommodate any security needs you may have. Additionally, the firewall policies, DoS defense, IP/MAC/URL filtering, and speed test features keep your network and data safe.
2. GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext (Slate) Gigabit Travel AC VPN Router
- GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext is a gigabit travel VPN router with simultaneous dual-band and wireless speeds up to 300Mbps(2.4G)+433Mbps(5G). It’s perfect for securely tethering your mobile phone or laptop while on the go, and also converts a public network into a private Wi-Fi for secure surfing.
- Pre-installed with OpenWrt/LEDE and backed by our software repository, it’s easy to keep your device up to date with the latest features. OpenVPN and WireGuard are pre-installed and compatible with 30+ VPN service providers out of the box.
- This best VPN router is perfect for anyone who travels frequently. With three Gigabit Ethernet ports, it provides fast and reliable internet access wherever you go. And with 128MB of RAM and 16MB of NOR Flash, it has plenty of memory to run complex applications.
3. TRENDnet Gigabit Multi-WAN VPN Business Router
- TRENDnet’s Gigabit Multi-WAN VPN Business Router provides a high availability network with router redundancy. The router supports up to four separate WAN internet connections and distributes network traffic to the best available link. This ensures that your business stays connected and productive, even in the event of an outage.
- TRENDnet Gigabit Multi-WAN VPN Business Router provides a secure, high-performance network solution for small businesses. The VPN router creates an encrypted VPN tunnel to access local area network resources remotely using IPSec, PPTP, L2TP w/ IPsec, and SSL VPN protocols.
- The content filtering feature allows you to manage screen time, filter content, track web use and browsing history, as well as device-level controls. Advanced web content filtering service powered by Router Limits is included for free. The management features include a web browser (HTTP, HTTPS), CLI, SSH, and Telnet management.
4. Cisco RV260W VPN Router
- The Cisco RV260W is perfect for small businesses who need a reliable and secure VPN router. With its integrated 8-port Gigabit Ethernet switch and 3×3 802.11ac Wave 2 Wi-Fi, the RV260W is perfect for connecting multiple devices to the network. And with support for separate virtual local area networks (VLAN), you can set up highly secure wireless guest access.
- This device supports IP Security (IPsec) VPN, so you can create a highly secure site-to-site connection. Additionally, it includes one year of web filtering to keep users and the business away from harmful websites. Stay productive and safe with the Cisco RV260W VPN Router.
5. TP-Link ER7206 Multi-WAN Professional Wired Gigabit VPN Router
- The TP-Link ER7206 Multi-WAN Professional Wired Gigabit VPN Router is perfect for businesses that need a reliable and secure network. With 1 Gigabit SFP WAN port, 2 Gigabit WAN/LAN ports, and 1 Gigabit LAN port, this best VPN router can handle even the heaviest traffic loads.
- And with Omada’s Software-Defined Networking (SDN) platform, you can integrate network devices including gateways, access points & switches with multiple control options to create the perfect network for your business.
- The TP-Link ER7206 Multi-WAN Professional Wired Gigabit VPN Router is perfect for businesses that need a fast, reliable, and secure router with remote cloud access. The Omada app brings centralized cloud management of the whole network from different sites-all controlled from a single interface anywhere, anytime.
- With SDN usage, you can be sure your devices/controllers are equipped with or can be upgraded to the SDN version for the best performance. The advanced firewall policies, DoS defense, IP/MAC/URL filtering, and speed test make this router ideal for any business.
6. GL.iNet GL-AR750 (Creta) Travel AC VPN Router
- GL-AR750 is a powerful travel VPN router that can easily convert a public network into private Wi-Fi for secure surfing. It features simultaneous dual bands with wireless speeds of up to 300Mbps(2.4G)+433Mbps(5G), as well as OpenVPN and WireGuard pre-installed for compatibility with 30+ VPN service providers. Plus, it comes with 3G/4G USB modem compatibility and LEDE/OpenWrt pre-installed for software repository options.
- With 128MB RAM and 16MB NOR Flash, it has plenty of memory to support VPN applications, media streaming, and more. The USB 2.0 port also allows you to connect a printer or storage device for easy sharing between devices. And with three Ethernet ports (1 WAN and 2 LAN), the GL-AR750 (Creta) can easily handle multiple devices simultaneously.
7. Cudy AC2100 WiFi Mesh VPN Router
- The Cudy AC2100 WiFi Mesh VPN Router is perfect for users who want to enjoy a fast, stable internet connection. With 4×4 MU-MIMO technology and gigabit ports, this best VPN router can handle bandwidth-intensive tasks with ease. It’s also great for streaming content in high definition, thanks to its support for the latest wireless standards.
- The Cudy AC2100 WiFi Mesh VPN Router is perfect for those who need a powerful and reliable router that can handle all of their streaming and gaming needs. With its Dual-Core Processor, you’ll be able to stream smoothly in 4K UHD without any buffering, and with its 16MB Flash and 128MB DDR3 memory, the router will keep running smoothly no matter what you throw at it.
- Additionally, the Cuddy AC2100 supports WiFi Router, Access Point, Range Extender, and WISP modes, making it perfect for any network situation. Simply upgrade the firmware to the latest version and you’re good to go!
8. D-Link DSR-250 VPN Router
- The D-Link DSR-250 VPN Router is perfect for businesses who need a high-speed router with integrated VPN tunnel support for secure remote network access. With 8 Gigabit LAN Ports and 1 Gigabit WAN Port, this best VPN router can handle even the most intensive networking needs.
- The policy-based service management makes it easy to configure firewall rules, while the support for 5 SSL VPN tunnels and 10 Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) tunnels means that you’ll be able to connect to any remote network securely.
- DSR-250 VPN Router supports simultaneous connections to (25) IPsec VPN tunnels and (25) additional PPTP/L2TP tunnels, making it an ideal choice for businesses with a large number of remote employees.
- Additionally, D Link Green Ethernet features conserve power and reduce energy consumption, making the DSR-250 a cost-effective networking option. The Dynamic Web Content Filtering feature allows administrators to block or allow access to specific websites, providing an extra layer of security for companies.
9. Cisco RV345 VPN Router
- The Cisco RV345 VPN Router is perfect for businesses that need fast Ethernet connectivity with up to 900-Mbps TCP throughput. The best VPN router also features robust and secure VPN capabilities, allowing you to securely interconnect different locations and devices. With 16 LAN ports, the RV345 provides high-performance connectivity for your business network.
- With dual-WAN support, the RV345 can easily handle multiple Internet connections, ensuring your business stays connected even if one connection fails. And with two USB ports, you can easily connect a 3G/4G modem or flash drive for additional storage.
- Plus, thanks to its limited lifetime warranty, free software fixes, and one year of technical support, you can rest assured that your router will be fully supported long into the future.
10. Linksys LRT224 Business Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router
- The Linksys LRT224 Business Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router is perfect for businesses that need a secure and reliable way to connect multiple remote sites or branches together. With up to 50 IPsec tunnels, you can easily create a secure site-to-site connection, or allow employees to connect remotely with the easy-to-use iOS and Android VPN clients. Additionally, the 900 Mbps firewall and 110 Mbps IPsec throughputs ensure that your data is always protected, even during peak traffic times.
- The Linksys LRT224 Business Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router is a high-quality networking device that can be used in a variety of settings. It supports load balancing and WAN failover, which ensures that your Internet connection stays reliable at all times. Plus, it has a wealth of features to meet the needs of business users, including robust security and QoS controls.
How to Choose the Best VPN Router for You?
When looking for a VPN router, there are many factors to consider. The most important of these is the type of VPN you will use. If you are using a remote access VPN, then you need a router that supports PPTP or L2TP connections. If you are using a site-to-site VPN, then you need a router that supports IPSec passthrough.
Other factors to consider include:
- Bandwidth requirements – How much bandwidth do you need? Routers come with different speeds, so make sure to choose one that can handle your bandwidth requirements.
- Security features – Make sure the router has security features such as firewalls and encryption protocols.
- Wireless capabilities – Wireless routers are available at different speeds and bandwidths depending on your needs.
- The number of devices – Will one router serve a small office or will you need a bigger one for a large company?
- Operating system– What is the router’s software like? Is it user-friendly, or do you prefer something that comes with additional features?
- VPN compatibility– Make sure the VPN you use is compatible with your selected router.
Pro Tip: Some routers can be flashed with custom firmware such as DD-WRT and Tomato – opening up additional functionality not usually found in consumer routers. Additionally, many feature IP routing, Firewall protection, and VLAN support – all key requirements if using a remote access VPN.
How to Setup VPN on Your Router
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why should I buy a VPN router?
A VPN router makes it easier for you to access the best VPN services. The VPN service becomes integrated with your internet connection and runs in the “background”. This also ensures that all traffic is VPN (not VPNs)-encrypted, which means better performance and security.
2. What VPN router should I buy?
This really depends on your needs. If you want a VPN router that is simple to use and offers good performance, we recommend the Asus RT-AC68U. If you are looking for more features and security, take a look at the DD-WRT or Tomato VPN routers.
3. Will my VPN router work with every VPN provider?
Your VPN router should work with almost every VPN service provider, but there are some exceptions like NordVPN (but they offer an easy solution). If in doubt, please contact our support team.
Do you need a VPN router? Read our roundup of the 10 best VPN routers. Our top picks are based on their speed, security features, and ease of use. If any of these sounds like your desired qualities for your next router purchase, make sure to read our full reviews before making a final decision about which one is right for you!