What’s the best tri-band mesh router? The answer depends on your particular needs. In this article, I’ll go over what makes up a great tri-band mesh router, and make my recommendation for the best model at each price point. Here are the 10 best tri-band mesh router reviews for you to have a look at. Check the details about them and choose one for your house or office.
- What Is A Tri-Band Mesh Router?
- Types Of Routers
- How To Choose The Best Tri-Band Mesh Router
- Top 10 Best Tri Band Mesh Router
- 1. NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System with 3Gbps Speed (RBK50)
- 2. NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System with 2.2Gbps speed (RBK23) Router
- 3. Amazon eero Pro 6 tri-band mesh Wi-Fi 6 router
- 4. NETGEAR Orbi Pro Tri-Band Mesh WiFi System (SRK60)
- 5. Linksys Mesh Wifi 5 Router
- 6. NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBK852)
- 7. NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBK752)
- 8. Meshforce M7
- 9. NETGEAR Nighthawk Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System (MK83)
- 10. Tenda Nova Tri-band Mesh WiFi System (MW12)
What Is A Tri-Band Mesh Router?
A tri-band mesh router (or tri-band mesh system) consists of two or more mesh nodes that broadcast three separate Wi-Fi signals. The first signal operates on the 2.4GHz band, which can be used for close-range connections where speed isn’t a top priority. The second and third signals operate on the 5GHz band, which are better suited to long range and high-speed applications.
If you have a large home and need a better Wi-Fi signal in every room, consider using a tri-band mesh router. It will help you get the most out of your devices and your internet service provider’s services.
Types Of Routers
The best tri band mesh router can be a great way to make your home networking more efficient and get better coverage throughout the house. If you have a large house or office, these types of routers can provide better coverage than the traditional Wi-Fi routers.
An Ethernet switch is a device that provides high-speed data transfer between two or more computers on a network. A good example is the Internet service provider (ISP) that provides Internet access to its customers. These routers use multiple channels of data transmission to give you faster speeds without experiencing any delays in transmission time.
The most important thing about these types of routers is that they allow you to connect your computer to the Internet without having to use an Ethernet cable. This means that you don’t have to worry about cables getting in your way or running all over the place, which can be a hassle with traditional Ethernet connections. They also allow you to connect your computer directly to the router, so you don’t have to worry about plugging it into an outlet or using an external cable modem.
Another great thing about these types of routers is that they offer excellent speed, whether you are using them for Internet access or for other applications like file sharing and gaming. Because they use multiple channels for data transfer, they are able to transfer data between multiple devices at the same time.
The best tri band mesh router is essentially a wireless router that works on multiple channels. Unlike traditional wireless routers, the best tri band mesh router uses one channel for the main Internet connection and two other channels that are dedicated for links to other devices in your home or office. For example, you can have a computer connected to the main channel, another device connected to one of the extra channels, and another connected to another extra channel.
How To Choose The Best Tri-Band Mesh Router
There are two key factors to consider when choosing the right tri-band WiFi system. The first is what type of internet connection you have, and the second is how large your home is.
If you’re not sure what speed your internet service provider gives you, check with them directly. You can also check your router for an indication of your base speed or contact us and we’ll help you determine what internet speed you have and what routers might work best for your home.
If you live in a smaller home — say under 1,500 square feet — you will likely be able to get away with a dual-band router. And if you live in an apartment with only one or two rooms total, even a single-band router would probably suffice.
Top 10 Best Tri Band Mesh Router
1. NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System with 3Gbps Speed (RBK50)
Netgear Orbi is the best tri-band mesh router I have tested so far. It offers better speed, coverage and stability than other routers on the market. Its setup is easy and fast, and its app is intuitive.
The Orbi mesh Wi-Fi system comes with one router and one satellite that create a network capable of covering up to 5,000 square feet.
Netgear has also added some new features to the Orbi that make it even better, such as Circle with Disney parental controls to manage children’s Internet usage and Alexa compatibility to use voice commands with the router.
The Orbi is a three-piece system that consists of the main router and two satellites. All the units in this system are tri-band, which means they can send data on three different wireless bands for better performance.
It is also a very fast system, as it combines multiple bands into one Wi-Fi channel for maximum speed. This makes it an excellent option for households where multiple people use different devices to stream content or play games at the same time.
What we liked:
- Easy setup and intuitive app
- Compatible with all major smart devices
- Very fast performance for a mesh router
- Can cover up to 5,000 square feet with the system’s coverage area
- Parental controls and security features for parents and kids.
2. NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System with 2.2Gbps speed (RBK23) Router
Networking is a big deal for everyone. Some of us prioritize price, some of us prioritize range, and some of us just want something that works. Netgear really hit the nail on the head with Orbi RBK23. The Orbi system is not only affordable, but it’s also fast and has great range, as well as a few other features you’ll love.
The NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System with 2.2Gbps speed (RBK23) is ideal for any home with up to 6,000 sq. ft. and 20+ devices.
This tri-band mesh WiFi system delivers a seamless room-to-room experience as you move through your home, keeping your devices connected to the best possible WiFi signal no matter where you are in your home.
The RBK23 comes with 1 router and 2 satellites and covers up to 6,000 sq. ft. of WiFi coverage throughout your home. It provides fast speeds up to 2.2 Gbps so you can stream movies, play games or video chat without interruption on all your mobile devices.
The RBK23 has Circle Smart Parental Controls to make it easy for families to manage content and time online on any connected device, without having to switch routers when you upgrade your Internet service provider (ISP).
It is the most award-winning mesh WiFi system on the market with patented Fast Lane3 technology that improves performance using both WiFi bands. The dedicated 5GHz band enables faster data transmission between Orbi router and satellite, delivering the strongest and fastest whole home WiFi available today.
What we liked:
- Easy to setup and use with the Orbi app
- Fast and reliable wifi
- Multiple bands for superior coverage and speed
- Great customer service for any questions
- Parental Controls make it simple to manage online time for kids
3. Amazon eero Pro 6 tri-band mesh Wi-Fi 6 router
The Amazon eero Pro 6 is a tri-band mesh Wi-Fi 6 router with a built-in Zigbee smart home hub. It’s the most useful and powerful piece of the eero brand’s mesh networking lineup that covers up to 2,000 sq. ft. and allows up to 75+ devices on its network.
In addition to its ability to provide coverage for larger homes, the eero Pro 6 can also be used as a stand-alone router or in combination with other eeros — either a mix of Pro 6s and other eeros or an all-Pro 6 setup.
The main reason you’d want multiple Pro 6s (or any kind of mesh system) is for dead zones or hard-to-reach spots around your home. The more access points you have, the better your coverage will be, which is how you’ll get fast speeds throughout your home. The Pro 6 works with all three Wi-Fi standards: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and Wi-Fi 6 (also known as 802.11ax).
What we liked:
- eero Pro 6 provides access to most of the Internet whether you’re on Wi-Fi 6 or not, thanks to its built-in Zigbee hub
- eero Pro 6 speeds are faster than some other mesh routers
4. NETGEAR Orbi Pro Tri-Band Mesh WiFi System (SRK60)
If you’re looking for a mesh WiFi system that can handle the rigors of commercial operation, Netgear’s Orbi Pro Tri-Band Mesh WiFi System is a powerful choice that’s designed to deliver optimal performance and support up to 25 users at once.
There are several reasons why the Orbi Pro is among our favorite mesh WiFi systems. For starters, it’s capable of delivering speeds up to 3 Gbps, which is more than enough bandwidth to operate even the most demanding business applications. It also supports over 25 devices at once and covers an area up to 5,000 square feet, which makes it ideal for restaurants, retail stores and offices.
The Orbi Pro’s tri-band backhaul allows for less interference between devices and faster speeds. It also works with all internet providers, making it easy to set up and connect almost anywhere.
If you have a lot of mobile devices that need access to your company’s WiFi network, you’ll love Netgear’s Insight app. Using this app, you can optimize performance, control access, and troubleshoot issues across multiple locations from virtually anywhere.
What we liked:
- Easy setup via mobile app
- Insight app enables network administrator control from anywhere.
- High capacity network design supports up to 25 connected devices.
5. Linksys Mesh Wifi 5 Router
Linksys is an American company that provides network hardware for consumers, businesses and service providers, offering a wide range of routers, modems, networking switches, VoIP equipment and wireless Internet video cameras.
The Linksys MR8300 Mesh Wi-Fi 5 Router (AC2200) is a tri-band 802.11ac router with a single 2.4GHz band and two 5GHz bands. It uses the Linksys Tri Band Intelligent Mesh Technology to provide up to 2,000 square feet of coverage for 20+ devices. You can add additional units to create an even larger mesh network. The router supports MU-MIMO technology that allows it to handle multiple active users simultaneously without any decrease in performance.
It offers speeds up to 2.2 Gbps and utilizes Beamforming technology that targets WiFi signals to specific devices, allowing you to connect faster with shorter range but higher speed connection. The router also features four Gigabit Ethernet ports and a USB 3.0 port for connecting external storage devices.
What we liked:
- Very good range and performance in testing
- Easy to install and manage using the Linksys app
- Parental controls are effective and easy to use
6. NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBK852)
Here’s the thing, in a big home, or if you have a lot of devices, you’re likely to have WiFi dead zones. Well, with the NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBK852), you can get rid of those dead zones. What does this system do? Well, it covers up to 5,000 square feet with a fast and reliable WiFi connection. It offers speeds of up to 6 Gbps. There are 100 devices allowed on the connection so for large families or for office use, this mesh system is best for that. It’s perfect for streaming 4K video and gaming without buffering. It also comes with Armor Cybersecurity to keep your network safe from any intruders.
The best part about this router is that it comes with 100 devices allowed on the connection. That way you can stream 4K video and gaming at the same time without any buffering issues. We also liked that it came with Cybersecurity which protects your network from intruders. The speed is also very good at 6 Gbps which means it’s one of the fastest around and makes it great for streaming HD content or gaming online.
What we liked:
- The system also provides a dedicated backhaul between the router and satellite for seamless 4K streaming and gaming on multiple devices.
- The new Orbi works with your Internet service provider right out of the box, no need for an additional modem or equipment.
- It’s easy to set up and manage using the Orbi app available on iOS and Android mobile devices.
7. NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBK752)
The NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBK752) covers up to 5,000 sq. ft. and can stream to up to 40 devices at the same time. It comes with a router and a satellite, meaning that you can extend its range if needed, and it runs on the latest Wi-Fi 6 technology offering up to 4.2 Gbps of bandwidth. It’s also compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant for voice control.
The Orbi Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBK752) from NETGEAR is an excellent choice for those looking for a mesh system that offers future-proof Wi-Fi 6 technology in a compact design with fast performance and security features.
What we liked:
- Simple setup from your smartphone with the Orbi app
- Tri-band WiFi with a dedicated backhaul connection
- Up to 4.2Gbps speed
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant
- NETGEAR Armor security protection including malware protection, anti-phishing and more
- NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls including age appropriate content filtering, web history monitoring, YouTube parental controls and more
8. Meshforce M7
If you’re looking for a mesh network solution that covers a large area and supports lots of devices, the Meshforce M7 is an excellent option, especially considering its relatively low price. The app is simple to use once set up and has many useful features.
The Meshforce M7 is a tri-band mesh system that covers up to 6,000 square feet with a single router. It’s more than enough coverage for most homes and businesses.
While it doesn’t support Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), it boasts Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) speeds of up to 2.2 Gbps, which is more than enough for most users’ needs. The app lets you set up guest networks, manage access to your network, and even schedule time slots when individual devices are allowed to connect.
Overall the Meshforce M7 offers a great amount of functionality for the price, making it a great choice if you have a somewhat larger home or business and need reliable connectivity everywhere at all times without breaking the bank.
What we liked:
- The M7 has many features that make this mesh WiFi system a great choice for homeowners and families.
- Superior speed, coverage and performance
- The M7 provides superior speed, coverage and performance to deliver a seamless WiFi experience from room to room in a home.
- Tri-band capability supports 75+ connected devices
- Consumers whose households boast many devices will appreciate the M7’s tri-band technology, which supports 75 or more connected devices.
- Easy setup, app monitoring and management
- The “My Mesh” app simplifies set up and allows you to monitor and manage your WiFi network right from your smartphone or tablet.
9. NETGEAR Nighthawk Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System (MK83)
The Nighthawk MK83 uses WiFi 6 technology to provide the fastest speeds, lowest latency and widest coverage. This powerful mesh wifi system includes two satellites to extend your WiFi range up to 6,750 sq ft.
With speeds up to 3.6Gbps and 40+ connected devices, you can enjoy seamless 4K streaming, gaming or video chatting throughout your home.
The new Nighthawk App makes it easy to set up your WiFi and manage internet access for all your devices. The app also helps you find the best place for your WiFi router with a simple WiFi SweetSpots test.
The NETGEAR Armor powered cybersecurity suite is included with this product at no additional charge, ensuring comprehensive protection against cyber threats while you surf the web and use smart home devices on your network.
This system is also compatible with Amazon Alexa & the Google Assistant so you can use voice commands to control your home network.
What we liked:
- 6 technology for faster speeds and greater bandwidth
- Compatible with older WiFi 5 clients
- Dedicated backhaul band for top performance
- Nighthawk app is easy to use
10. Tenda Nova Tri-band Mesh WiFi System (MW12)
The MW12 Wi-Fi system is designed to deliver a massive wireless coverage for homes up to 6,000 square feet by eliminating Wi-Fi dead zones.
It delivers up to 2.2Gbps high speed internet for lag-free online gaming and 4K video streaming with three bands (867Mbps on 5GHz band, 867Mbps on 5GHz band and 300Mbps on 2.4GHz band) working simultaneously.
The Tenda WiFi app allows you to conveniently manage your network settings from anywhere using your smartphone or tablet.
It supports MU-MIMO and Beamforming technology which helps the router communicate more effectively with each individual connected device, thus providing better performance.
What we liked:
- 3-pack Mesh WiFi Router system provides up to 6000 square feet of excellent Wi-Fi coverage
- Equipped with dual 5GHz frequency bands, which are faster than 2.4GHz, offering up to 867Mbps; a 300Mbps 2.4GHz band delivers a lag-free experience ideal for web browsing, emailing and social media
- Parental Controls let you easily manage your children’s internet usage
- Easy setup via the Tenda Wi-Fi App (iOS / Android) in minutes. System Requirements – Windows 10, Windows8 , Windows 7, MAC OS X or higher operating system with latest updates installed. Internet Explorer 11, Safari 6, Firefox 12, Chrome 20 or higher version browser
- Gigabit Ethernet ports mean you can connect more wired devices for faster file sharing
- The built-in Smart Antennas increase signal stability and strength
What Are The Benefits Of Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi?
Tri-band Wi-Fi systems use two 5 GHz bands to provide dedicated, reliable connections to more devices. One band is always dedicated to your device, so you get a faster, smoother connection. This results in faster transfer speeds and less lag time when playing games or streaming 4K UHD movies.
How Many Nodes Can I Connect With My Tri-Band Router?
You can connect up to three nodes with a tri-band system. If you have a larger home or need more coverage, you can also add additional nodes from a different series. Just make sure your new node is compatible with your existing Wi-Fi system by referencing our Product Compatibility page.
How Do I Set Up My Tri-Band Router?
Setting up your tri-band router is easy. In fact, if you’re already familiar with Netgear routers, then the setup process should be very similar. To get started:
1. Make sure your main router is on and connected to the internet.
2. Place your satellite(s) in their desired location(s). It’s important that they’re not too close to each other or other electronics like microwave ovens or baby monitors.
3. Place the antenna(s) in the location where you’d like to get coverage. They should be at least a few feet from the router and as far away from other electronics as possible – especially wireless devices like tablets, laptops, phones, etc.
4. Connect your satellite(s) to your main router using a standard Ethernet cable. You can then connect all of your devices to your satellites using a Wi-Fi USB or Wi-Fi or Bluetooth adapter if needed (more on this below).
We have reviewed a lot of products, but the winner of today’s article is definitely the Orbi Tri-band Mesh WiFi System. It is fast and its coverage is amazing. Compared to all other systems, it has more flexibility, as it can be used in any type of apartment or house.
It was easy for us to install and set up the Orbi system. The main router comes with everything you need and the process can be completed in just a few minutes. If you want to expand your network, you can easily get additional satellites and connect them to the main router.
This tri-band system also offers some advanced features that are not available on other products, such as WPA/WPA2-PSK support and 24/7 support from Netgear technicians.
Compared to traditional WiFi routers, this one is faster and it has a greater range. In our tests, we didn’t experience any dropped connections or any other problems while using this product. We found out that it worked like a charm in small apartments and large houses alike, so if you want a reliable solution for your home, we recommend that you choose this model.