The following is information on the XFINITY XB6 xFi Advanced Gateway Modem. The XB6 is also referred to as either the ARRIS TG3482G (most common) or Technicolor CGM4140COM. Renting either gateway from Comcast is generally a $14 a month extra charge. You can buy your own Comcast modem that works better than this xFI gateway and save this monthly charge.
Find your Gateway model number on the bottom panel or visit your Internet Service page on My Account.
XFINITY XB6 xFi Advanced Gateway
The xFi Advanced Gateway offers up to 1 Gigabit speed and further WiFi coverage than its predecessors. The XB6 also features XFINITY exclusive WiFi management tools, parental tools. xFi Pods can also be used for extended coverage.
Pros Vs Cons Of Renting xFi XB6 Gateway
- By renting the XFINITY XB6 from Comcast, you get free support from them.
- “Free” xFi app provides security, parental controls, and WiFi settings from a smartphone
- Extend WiFi coverage with xFi pods to extend wireless signal higher and further around your property
- Get regular automatic updates to equipment
ARRIS SURFboard G34 / G36 3.1 WiFi Modem
Soon to be released from Commscope under the ARRIS Surfboard brand are the G34 and G36 DOCSIS 3.1 WiFi cable modems. While it is unclear, as of the time of writing, when the new modems will be released, this is what I do know.
Motorola MT7711 XFINITY Voice WiFi Modem
The Motorola MT7711 is the latest WiFi cable modems built with voice capabilities. It is currently only approved for Comcast Voice customers. The Motorola MT7711 provides speeds up to 600Mbps
ASUS CMAX6000 WiFi-6 3.1 Modem
The CMAX6000 is the first cable modem from ASUS in over 3 years. It has already been approved for XFINITY speed tiers up to 1 Gbps. With DOCSIS 3.1 and WiFi-6 built in, the CMAX6000 is on top of the latest technologies
Buy Your Own Modem and Save Money On Monthly Rental Charges
- You can still purchase your own gateway and save money in the long run
- Some claim rental modems are slower than traditional modems
- From a leased modem, Comcast uses your WiFi and device to deliver XFINITY WiFi Hotspots. This can, however, be turned off with a call to Comcast
- Wireless pods are also offered by many other manufacturers
Learn more about the XB6 on XFINITY.com
Overall, renting a unit for XFINITY services really is not worth it.