DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems are still developing across the country. However, some businesses and even some households are using DOCSIS 3.1 technology today. If you subscribe to Gigabit plans such as XFINITY 1 Gig or Gigabit Pro, Cable One GigaOne, or Mediacom Xtream Gig, you’ll need a DOCSIS 3.1 compatible cable modem. Some may be offered only through your cable company. However, some companies may let you buy your own modem.
NETGEAR Nighthawk CM2000 Multi-Gig DOCSIS 3.1 Modem
- Supports cable tiers up to 2.5 Gbps / 2500 Mbps
- Fastest – Perfect for 4K HD streaming, intense multi-player gaming, and more
- Compatible with DOCSIS 3.0 Internet tiers
- Best buy for near and far future network upgrades
- Not compatible with voice services
- Compatible With – Comcast Business, Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Grande, Mediacom, Optimum, RCN, Sparklight, Spectrum Residential, and WoW!
- Nighthawk Multi-Gig Eco System support. Works best with the RAX120, RAX200, and Orbi RBK852 and future routers with 2.5Gbps WAN Port.
- View more information on the NETGEAR CM2000 on Amazon
FAQ About DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modems
What is DOCSIS 3.1?
DOCSIS is short for Data Over Cable Service Interface Specifications. Over the years there have been different forms of DOCSIS, from 1.0 to 3.0, and now DOCSIS 3.1. Each of the previous offers faster and faster speeds. With 3.1, the goal is to get to 10 Gbps download speeds. Can you imagine that? Being able to download a UHD movie in about a second. That’s what we are heading towards. As we begin to use the internet for more things like virtual reality, augmented reality, and artificial intelligence, higher speeds, and availability will definitely be needed.
Do I need a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem?
Some cable companies offer Gigabit speeds and this typically is what a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem is for. However, if you want to prepare for the future, all DOCSIS 3.1 modems can be used on 3.0 networks. This makes them usable on lower speed tiers than Gigabit.
Is there a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem and router combo, a.k.a WiFi cable modem?
Yes, currently the one listed above is the only one available in retail.
Is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem worth it & Do I need one?
The answer depends on your provider, current speed subscription, and any future speeds you may elect. There is not a “catch-all” answer to these questions for everyone. Let’s say you currently subscribe to XFINITY Extreme 300. The CM500 DOCSIS 3.0 modem is capable of 300 Mbps and is typically around $55-$60. An ARRIS SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 modem capable of 300, and well above to 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps), will cost around $150. So you have to think about $100 savings. However, you should also consider that any 3.1 modems would be future-proof for many years to come. A 3.0 modem may be good for another 4-5 years before all companies roll-out 3.1 across their networks and stop using 3.0.
- Motorola MB8611 XFINITY / COX Gigabit Modem ReviewRecently, the Motorola MB8611 was released from Zoom under the Motorola brand name. It is compatible and approved for use with Comcast XFINITY and Cox. Furthermore, this cable modem will work with Gigabit plans and lower tiers. The MB8611 has an MSRP of $169.99. Jump To: MB8611 Product Features MB8611 Manuals & Guides In-Depth Review…
- ARRIS SURFboard S33 Modem Details & ReviewThe ARRIS SURFboard S33 is a sleeker design than all of the prior SURFboard modems. The S33 is a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem capable of multi-gig speeds up to 3.5 Gbps. This is accomplished by using both of the Ethernet ports, one a 2.5 Gbps port and the other a 1 Gbps port. On This…
- Motorola MT7711 XFINITY Voice WiFi Modem Review The Motorola MT7711 is the newest WiFi cable modem with voice capabilities. It is currently only approved for Comcast Voice customers. The Motorola MT7711 provides for speeds up to 650Mbps. Also, it has a built-in AC1900 WiFi router with Power Boost and AnyBeam beamforming providing a longer range than most modem and router combos….
- ARRIS SURFboard T25 XFINITY Voice Modem The ARRIS SURFboard T25 is exclusively made for XFINITY voice subscribers with any Internet tiers up to 10 Gbps. The T25 is one of the newest Comcast voice modems available to buy and is DOCSIS 3.1 ready. This modem will have to be used with a separate WiFi router. The T25 does not have…
- NETGEAR Orbi CBR750 / CBK752 WiFi Modem The new NETGEAR Orbi CBR750 / CBK752 has a WiFi 6 built-in router, also known as 802.11AX wireless. WiFi 6 is the latest generation of in-home WiFi that is 4x faster than the most commonly used today, wireless AC. However, with Netgear leading the way with WiFi 6 cable modems and routers, 802.11AX will…
- NETGEAR Nighthawk CM2000 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem The NETGEAR Nighthawk CM2000 is one of the latest modems released by Netgear under the Nighthawk lineup. The CM2000 can support speeds up to 2.5 Gbps, which really future-proofs this modem. It is compatible with most cable companies including Comcast XFINITY residential and business, Cox, Sparklight (Cable One), Spectrum, and more. . Netgear CM2000 DOCSIS 3.1 Key Features 2.5X Internet…
- NETGEAR Nighthawk CAX80 WiFi 6 Modem Review The NETGEAR Nighthawk CAX80 is the first and only DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem with a built-in WiFi-6 router. WiFi-6 is also known as 802.11AX. WiFi 6 is the latest generation of WiFi that is four times faster than Wireless AC. Not only that, it provides further travel of wireless signals in and outside of…
- XFINITY XB6 xFi Advanced Gateway Modem TG3482G The following is information on the XFINITY XB6 xFi Advanced Gateway Modem. The XB6 is also referred to as either the ARRIS TG3482G (most common) or Technicolor CGM4140COM. Renting either gateway from Comcast is generally a $14 a month extra charge. You can buy your own Comcast modem and save this monthly charge. ….
- NETGEAR CM1200 Multi-Gig DOCSIS 3.1 Modem Netgear recently released the new CM1200 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem. The NETGEAR CM1200 can support speeds up to 2 Gbps, which really future-proofs this modem. It is compatible with most cable companies including Comcast XFINITY residential and business, Cox, Sparklight (Cable One), Spectrum, and more. The CM1200 also has 4 built-in gigabit ports for Multi-IP address support. . NETGEAR CM1200…
- NETGEAR CM1000 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem The Netgear CM1000 was the first DOCSIS 3.1 modem released. The CM1000 modem supports speeds up to 1 Gbps, though most households are far from that. However, this would be the last cable modem you’ll need for many years to come. It is compatible with most cable companies including Comcast XFINITY 1 Gig, Cox…