All of the following are RCN compatible modems and modem router combos. RCN cable modems must meet the following requirements to be activated.
- At least 24 Downstream Channels
- At least 8 Upstream Channels
- DOCSIS 3.0 certified
For speeds over 500 Mbps, RCN requires a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem. The four models are noted below. If you have phone service with RCN, you must use a modem provided by RCN.
Top RCN Modem – Stand-Alone (No WiFi)
- 24 X 8 Channel Bonding – 24 download & 8 upload channels provide faster speeds
- One Ethernet Port – Connect to any router
- Super Fast – For all RCN Internet tiers up to Ultimate 300
- IPv6 Compatible – Latest Internet standard
- BCM33843 Chipset – Does not use the Puma 6 chipset which causes a lot of latency issues and automatic resets
- View more about the NETGEAR CM600 Cable Modem
List of Compatible RCN Modems
Below is a list of RCN cable modems that you can buy and use with your RCN Internet service.
|Brand||MPN / Model#||Channels
Down / Up
Speed – Mbps
|WiFi Type & Speed
= No WiFi
|Arris||SBG7400AC2||24 x 8||330||AC2350|
|Linksys||CM3024||24 x 8||330|
|Arris||SBG7600AC2||24 x 8||330||AC2300|
|Netgear||C7500||24 x 8||330||AC3200|
|Motorola||MB7621||24 x 8||330|
|Netgear||CM600||24 x 8||330|
|Netgear||C7000||24 x 8||330||AC1900|
|TP-Link||CR1900||24 x 8||330||AC1900|
|Linksys||CG7500||24 x 8||330||AC1900|
|Arris||SBG7580-AC||32 x 8||330||AC1750|
Typically, any modem that has at least 24 x 8 channel bonding will work for speeds of 330 Mbps or less. For the 500 Mbps and Gig speeds, a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem is required. With that info in mind, all of the modems listed above will work with RCN.
Yes. Currently, the Arris SB8200, Netgear CM1000, Netgear CM1100, and Netgear CM1200 are compatible. However, the Motorola MB8600 and the Netgear C7800 are not approved at this time.
RCN Support Page
RCN and the RCN Logo are registered trademarks of The RCN Corporation. We have no direct relationship with RCN.
According to RCN’s restrictions, these modems are not compatible with RCN.
- TP-Link ARCHER CR500
- TP-Link ARCHER CR700
- TP-Link TC-7610
- TP-Link TC-7620
- TP-Link TC-W7960
- Ubee DDW365
- Ubee DDW366
- Zoom 5341J
- Zoom 5345
- Zoom 5350
- Zoom 5352
- Zoom 5354
- Zoom 5360
- Zoom 5363
- Zoom 5370
- Zyxel CDA-30360
- ARRIS SURFboard S33 DOCSIS 3.1 ModemThe ARRIS SURFboard S33 is a sleeker design than all of the prior SURFboard modems. The S33 is a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem capable of multi-gig speeds up to 2.5 Gbps.
- ARRIS SB6183 Modem Specifications & ReviewARRIS SURFboard SB6183 is a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem with 16 download channels and 4 upload channels. This makes the SB6183 ideal for XFINITY speeds up to 300 Mbps. With one Gigabit port, it can be used with one wired device such as a PC, Smart TV, Game Console, or connected to a WiFi router for whole-home coverage.
- Motorola MB7621 Product Details & ReviewThe Motorola MB7621 is the #4 best-selling cable modem on Amazon as of September 2021. With the MB7621 you can… Save $120 or more a year on your cable bill At $78, it pays for itself in 8 months… Read More »Motorola MB7621 Product Details & Review
- XFINITY Flex – Comcast 4K Streaming BoxThe XFINITY Flex is a streaming device offered to Comcast customers who subscribe to XFINITY Internet service. It is similar to a Roku or Amazon Fire TV streaming device. However, it is bigger than most other devices that can do the same thing.