Soon to be released from Commscope under the ARRIS Surfboard brand are the G34 and G36 DOCSIS 3.1 WiFi cable modems. While it is unclear, as of the time of writing, when the new modems will be released, this is what I do know.
From the first glance at the ARRIS SURFboard G34 and G36, they make look like the same WiFi modem, especially from the front. However, the G36 has an Ethernet port that can be used for your incoming Internet signal instead of a coax cable connection. This allows the use of the router portion separately for a 4G, 5G, or other Internet connection.
What is the difference between the ARRIS G34 and G36?
ARRIS SURFboard G34
ARRIS SURFboard G36
You will see in the illustrations above that the G36 has a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port. This allows the ARRIS G36 to be used as a separate router-only unit.
ISP Approval and Compatibility
Both the ARRIS G34 and G36 have already been approved for use with Comcast XFINITY, Cox, and Charter Spectrum. For the most part, these two WiFi modems are meant to be used with Gigabit speed tiers. However, they are both compatible with lower speed tiers that currently use DOCSIS 3.0 technology.
Commscope G34 and G36 User Manual
- DOCSIS 3.1 Modem features the latest technology offered by cable internet providers and is capable of combined download speeds up to 4 Gbps. Best for cable internet speed plans up to 1 Gbps.
- Experience better network performance with Wi-Fi 6. The G34 provides Wi-Fi speeds up to 3000 Mbps for a better gaming, streaming, or working experience.
- Approved for use with major U.S Cable Internet providers, including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity and many others. Not compatible with AT&T, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers.
- The G34 features four 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports for fast, reliable wired connections for devices like smart TVs, gaming consoles and more.
- Fast, Easy, Secure Setup with SURFboard Central App: Provides step-by-step instructions to set-up your network. Once complete, you can manage your network, including setting screen time parental controls.