The latest release from Motorola in the line of cable modem router combos is the Motorola MG8702. As with most other new releases, the MG8702 is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. It also features a built-in AC3200 WiFi Router. With that said, it does not feature the newest WiFi 6 (802.11AX) standard. Don’t get me wrong, wireless AC is still pretty sufficient, I’m just unsure why they built it that way. It will, however, handle download speeds up to 6 Gbps.
Motorola MG8702 Overviews
Motorola MG8702 is the best router for Comcast XFINITY service. The Motorola MG8702 has a 2.4GHz IEEE 802.11n wireless access point with a 4-port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet switch and integrated Cable modem termination system (CMTS). It can be pointed out that if you have a cable modem or DSL modem provided by your ISP, then you do not need to purchase this device as it will just be another wiring clutter on your home network business. If you are using one of these modems, then simply call your ISP and request that they hook up the ethernet port on their device directly into one of the ports of this router thus eliminating the need for an extra modem in your network.
Motorola MG8702 Quick Specs
|Top Speed||1 Gbps|
|DOCSIS Version||3.0 / 3.1|
|Where To Buy|
- HIGH-SPEED PERFORMANCE: DOCSIS 3.1 with 32×8 DOCSIS 3.0 fallback support, providing 32 downstream channels for nominal speeds over 3,200 Mbps. 8 upstream channels for speeds up to 246 Mbps.
- Comcast XFINITY 1 Gig Approved Modem
- FULL-RANGE OF CONNECTION OPTIONS: Built-in AC3200 4×4 wireless gigabit router with 4 Ethernet ports for further-reaching, faster Internet speeds on all your devices. Does not include a telephone jack or voice call support.
- NETWORK MANAGEMENT – The MotoManage app is the fastest and easiest way to optimize your network right from your phone, offering customizable features for security, device monitoring, parental controls, and more.
- POWER BOOST TECHNOLOGY: Amplifies the wireless signal to the legal limit in the U.S, providing the fastest and most robust connections for your router to distribute across multiple devices simultaneously via MU-MIMO.
For very high actual speeds, the Motorola MG8702 is a great choice. DOCSIS 3.1 is the fastest cable modem standard, supporting Internet speeds of many gigabits per second. Actual speeds
depend on your cable modem service and the speed of your devices’ connection to this cable modem. Even if you don’t have DOCSIS 3.1 service now, you can benefit from the 32×8 DOCSIS 3.0 capability that’s also built into this cable modem. This is the fastest DOCSIS 3.0 capability available.
Motorola MG8702 XFINITY Modem Router Reviews
Motorola MG8702 Modem Router is very good looking so it looks like a stylish product. Its design is very simple and perfect for use at home, home office, or small business office. It has four wired Ethernet ports so you can connect to the internet with them, but there is no WIFI 802.11 b/g/n support.
Motorola MG8702 Modem router comes in black color which I think that’s nice because many modem routers come in white color, this one doesn’t look boring. Also, it has a blue light indicator for power on or off that makes it more stylish.
Overall, Motorola MG8702 Modem Router has an excellent design that is suitable for use at home. It has four ethernet ports but only one WIFI support, so if you need a wireless internet connection you should think about it two times before buying the product.
Motorola MG8702 Modem Router can do many things for your home network. You can use it as a modem router, bridge, access point, and wireless client. So you can connect to the internet via Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n or Ethernet cable.
Also, this device supports a DHCP server so your devices will always have an IP address assigned automatically when connected to the Internet. If you choose Bridge mode then your main network is not affected because it uses the DHCP relay function which connects all networks wirelessly with each other without any problems.
If you choose Access point mode then your network will be affected because your main router or modem is switched off. To fix this problem you should use WIFI again by switching on the default wireless router.
Motorola MG8702 Modem Router can provide a very good signal for your home customers, but not great like DLink DSL 2750U Wireless N300 ADSL2+ Modem Router which can cover more than 26000 sq ft area total. It provides enough speed to connect to the internet with a high-performance computer or laptop, also it supports 300 Mbps speed. Also, its security functions are quite good so nobody will hack into your network easily.
Overall, Motorola MG8702 Modem Router is an excellent product with nice performance. It has many features so its price may be more expensive than some other modem routers. But if you need a good-looking new product for your home, you should think about buying this one.
You can buy this modem router at Amazon, the price of the Motorola MG8702 Modem Router is around $80 which I think that’s not bad because it has a nice design and very good features for home-usage. If you are interested in the best wireless routers then have a look at the best wifi router reviews blog where you will find lots of great information about top-rated wireless-n routers.
Pros & Cons
- It’s a modem router combo, one device that does the job of 2
- Movies and music streamed smoothly from Netflix or X
- Box lives with no lags or delays.
- Many connection options for wired devices
- Comcast & Motorola would not load up their interface to manage this device on my Mac via USB cable despite repeated calls to Comcast and frequent rebooting of all devices involved. I had to use the web browser interface on my Mac which was much slower.
- No easy way to disable MAC addresses which can be a security risk since anyone could plug in any computer they wanted and authenticate as a customer of yours if you didn’t have it protected by guest access or other means.
This Motorola MG8702 is great for home usage because it has a very good design and lots of useful features. Also, it provides enough speed or bandwidth for using high-performance computers or laptops without any problems. Please take a look at its customer reviews before buying this product, maybe there are some bad things about this device that may affect its performance. But overall I that this device is the best modem router I’ve ever seen.